VICTORY! City Council said YES to Mobile Home Zoning
City Council voted 5-0 on August 22nd to adopt the manufactured housing park zoning ordinance! Thank you for your support throughout this campaign. The testimony and turnout at the public hearings and written testimony to the PSC and City Council were decisive.
The new zoning went into effect immediately, and is already helping to protect 56 mobile home parks from redevelopment. Some 3,000 low-income families live in these parks, and their housing is now much more secure.
- OPB: Portland Approves Protection for Mobile Home Parks
- Portland Tribune: Portland enacts new zone to prevent redevelopment of mobile home parks
- Oregonian: Portland approves plan to preserve mobile home
With this important safeguard now in place, Living Cully is continuing its work organizing alongside mobile home residents and other low-income renters — and community-based organizations citywide — to create further protections and opportunities for safe, affordable, stable homes. The next measures on our radar include:
- Rent regulation;
- A ‘tenant opportunity to purchase’ ordinance that would give renters advance notice of the sale of their homes, and a right-of-first-refusal to work with non-profit and public sector partners to buy their properties and preserve them as affordable housing;
- Dedicated funding for non-profits and tenants’ co-ops to buy mobile home parks and other rental properties;
- The Metro affordable housing bond;
- Mobile home repair and replacement funds
Stay up to date on these issues and more as we advance our goal of housing as a human right by signing up for our emails HERE.